Types and Treatment of Laryngitis
Laryngitis causes a swelling of the vocal cords which can affect your audibility, performance of day-to-day functions and overall health. While sufferers may exhibit the same symptoms, not all cases of Laryngitis are the same. There are different types of Laryngitis. Its causes, origins and level of discomfort will determine the proper treatment method.
Types of Laryngitis
- Acute Laryngitis – Most cases of Laryngitis only create mild discomfort and can be treated at home. Common causes of Acute Laryngitis are:
- Viral infections similar to the ones that cause the common cold.
- Vocal strain; overusing your voice.
- Bacterial infections such as diphtheria.
Acute Laryngitis can clear itself within 1 week with proper treatment.
- Chronic Laryngitis – If your Laryngitis takes more than 1 week to heal, you may have Chronic Laryngitis. Untreated, this type of Laryngitis can cause strain, injuries or growths of polyps or nodules on the vocal cords. Among the probable causes are:
- Inhalation of irritants such as smoke, chemicals and allergens.
- Acid reflux.
- Chronic sinusitis.
- Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Frequent shouting or yelling; cheerleaders, coaches and singers.
- Habitual smoking.
On a lesser scale, Chronic Laryngitis may be caused by:
- Bacterial infections
- Fungal infections
- Parasitic infections
If you have sexual contact with a partner that has genital warts and engage in oral sex, the warts could manifest in your throat and cause Laryngitis.
More severe cases of Chronic Laryngitis may lead to the following conditions:
- Vocal cord paralysis
- Progressive deterioration of the vocal cords
Treatment of Laryngitis
As mentioned Acute Laryngitis can clear up on its own assuming proper treatment is regularly undertaken.
In its initial stages, gargling an antiseptic mouthwash every 1 to 2 hours in combination with prolonged rest of the vocal cords should suffice.
However, if symptoms persist or if there is no improvement in the condition, you could have Chronic Laryngitis. The telltale sign is if your condition or health starts to worsen. Your first course of action is to see your doctor.
After reviewing your history or running a diagnosis, your doctor may prescribed either of the 2 remedies:
- Antibiotics – If the doctor’s tests indicates the possibility of a bacterial infection, he or she may prescribe antibiotic medication. However, if the finding show source of Laryngitis is viral, an antibiotic will not work.
- Corticosteroids – A doctor may recommend corticosteroids if the swelling of the vocal cords is progressive and is causing great discomfort. A corticosteroid is used to bring down swelling. Doctors also prescribe corticosteroids if there is an urgent need to reduce the swelling. For example, if you are a singer or public speaker.
Healthful Tips and Home Remedies for the Treatment of Laryngitis
You can prevent Laryngitis before it happens simply by following these simple tips and home remedies in case you are already at risk:
- Maintain Moist Air Environment – Use a humidifier to keep air throughout your rooms moist. You should also use warm water when taking showers.
- Rest Your Voice – Even if your job requires you to talk or speak frequently, take some time to rest your vocal cords. Also, speak in modulated tones and avoid raising your voice whenever possible. If available, use a megaphone or microphone when addressing large crowds.
- Stay Hydrated – Whenever you feel your throat has gone dry, drink water. Minimize your intake of coffee and alcohol as these types of beverages can cause dehydration.
- Keep Your Throat Moist – Another trick is to use throat lozenges when speaking for extended periods of time. Some lozenges contain anti-bacterial substances which will protect your vocal cords from germ growth.
- Take Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple Cider Vinegar has many health benefits. It contains acetic acid which eliminates germs in your throat and contains anti-bacterial compounds. Gargle 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with warm water every 1 to 2 hours.
- Drink Ginger Tea – Ginger tea can soothe and cool agitated vocal cords.
- Minimize Use of Decongestants – These can actually dry out your throat.
- Avoid Whispering – Believe it or not, whispering causes greater strain on the vocal cords than talking!
Laryngitis can affect each and every one of us. But by carefully managing our lifestyle and setting the right conditions at home at work, we can successfully minimize the risk of acquiring it.
6 Organic Makeup Products That Won’t Damage Your Skin
Beauty product use has always been in vogue ever since men and women started realizing the impact of a beautiful personality on relationships. Today, the beauty industry is worth billions and growing phenomenally. While synthetic makeup and beauty products and chemical formulations are the favorite go-to choices; however, one cannot resist the tempting existence of the organic beauty products in the market.
These products are free of harmful synthetic chemicals as well as dyes, and they actually claim to nourish your skin as opposed to others out there. Most branded makeups have harmful carcinogens, chemicals as well as unnatural ingredients that can damage your skin.
If you are someone who is seriously thinking to go for organic products to ensure the better skin and healthy body then you have landed on just the perfect page. Let us give you some of our top picks of hypoallergenic makeup that you can add to your makeup box right away.
- Out of Africa Lip Balm
As far as natural hypoallergenic makeup goes, this product is one of our ultimate favorite. This is a natural vegan and cruelty free product that you can use without feeling guilty about all the animals that were hurt in its making.
This brand offers several flavors that you will simply fall in love with, such as, tropical vanilla, strawberry, peppermint, orange cream, pomegranate as well as an unscented balm for those you are not looking for any fragrance. The main ingredient that goes into the making of this product is shea butter, which is responsible for providing your skin healing fats. This balm is rich in vitamin E as well as several essential oils that are good for the skin.
- Lavera Natural Liquid Foundation
This organic liquid foundation contains natural ingredients instead of artificial ones. In it, you will find Argon oil, vitamin A, C and E that will nourish your skin. This foundation easily covers all the imperfections in your skin so that there is little to no need of a Concealer. It does not contain lead or paraben and is not tested upon animals.
- Lippy Girl Lipstick
If the name of the brand itself has not gotten you hooked, reading about its benefits will surely push you to go buy it. These lipsticks contain beeswax, jojoba and grape. It also contains castor seed oil that helps repair damaged and dry skin. These lipsticks do not contain any factory made ingredients and most certainly, no synthetic dyes. The colors are made with the use of plant based ingredients so they are safe for use.
- Logona Eye Shadow
This mineral-based makeup product is made up purely of organic ingredients. It has several essential oils that help the application of this product go smoothly. This environment friendly brand ensures that no animals are hurt in the process and no environmental damages occur from its disposal. You will simply love to play with the beautiful shades that this brand has to offer!
- Organic Wear Mascara
Organic Wear Mascara is a high quality product when it comes to makeup and it includes a natural foundation for extra definition and finish to eye makeup. This mascara is as good as any mascara out there, the only thing that differs this from the rest out there is that it is a cruelty free product made up of only the most organic ingredients. Unlike most mascaras out there, Organic Wear Mascara does not contain any GMOs. This environment friendly product contains zero parabens and is excellent for everyday use.
- Chantecaille Blush
This brand does not test its products on animals and is completely organic. It contains zero lanolin and mineral derivatives. This organic blush is good for your skin, keeping it hydrated and soft even after long-term use. 5% of the brand’s earnings go to a wildlife trust that saves baby elephants and gives them a sheltered life.
If you wish to buy any of the hypoallergenic makeup products, they are easily available online.